- Strong blender (I use Ninja bullet blender)
- Thick-ish bowl
All the Ingredients:
- unsweetened vanilla almond/oat/soy milk
- frozen spinach/kale/chard (I get the “Power Greens” from Costco)
- frozen fruit (I have the Mixed Berries blend and Tropical Fruit blend from Costco)
- Acai blend, Original (Publix or health food stores – the unsweetened is disgusting and I have to add tons of honey to make it taste good)
- OPTIONAL BASE INGREDIENTS: avocados, spirulina powder, coconut water
- granola (I prefer chunky, but up to you)
- flax seed
- chia seed
- coconut flakes
- cacao nibs or semisweet chocolate chunks
- almond butter
- bee pollen
- OPTIONAL TOPPING INGREDIENTS: crushed nuts, goji berries, cut up fresh fruit, frozen raspberries, whatever else you want!
1 | Making the Smoothie Base
- Smash up the frozen leaves in the bag, so they’re in small pieces. This helps fit more of them in your smoothie without taking up space.
- Use the smoothie cup to scoop up the frozen spinach/kale/chard so it’s loosely 1/2 to 2/3 of your cup. It will compress further when you add other stuff later.
- If you’re adding in your Acai blend, break it in half and add it in next.
- Fill in the rest of the cup with a couple pieces of your frozen fruit.
- Add in milk until it’s halfway up the cup.
- Add 2 spoonfuls of flax seed.
- Mix in blender.
- It should be blending, but not easily. Give a couple shakes to completely smash up the greens at the top.
2 | Setting up the bowl
- Add granola to the empty bowl, filling it up halfway (I love granola!)
- Pour in your blended smoothie base on top of the granola
- Add a spoonful of each: hemp seeds, chia seeds, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, and whatever else you want on top.
- Drizzle some honey and almond butter on top
- Stick your spoon in the side and DIG IN!!!
Rainbow Smoothies (All the colors!)
- Red/Fuschia smoothie color: Dragonfruit, raspberries, strawberries
- Orange: Strawberries, tropical blend (papaya, peaches, pineapple), banana
- Yellow: banana, Papaya, peach, banana, pineapple
- Light Green: avocado + Tropical Blend + spinach, kale, chard
- Teal: above + spirulina powder + lemon/lime
- Purple: Acai blend, mixed berries blend (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- Neutral/tan: the color I usually end up with, because it is the color when you mix all the fruits! Greens + fruits + berries
- Want thicker/creamier base? Add avocado or banana! Or yogurt.
- Base too watery? Add more frozen fruit or acai blend
- Base not mixing? If it doesn’t mix, give the cup a good shake and try again. If still not blending, slowly add more milk and try again.
- Want sweeter base? Add honey, use coconut water, or use sweetened milk for base
- Want more crunch? Add crushed nuts on top! Cacao nibs are super crunchy but they can be hard to source rn.
- Almond butter not spreading easily? I grab a spoonful and then tap the side of the spoon rather forcefully with my other finger so it eventually droops down, then I move the spoon over the bowl to form a line.
- Local honey and bee pollen may help against allergies! I got my bee pollen from the USF Gardens and honey from the local indie flea market
Well, that’s it! It’s rather simple and fast. I used to put fresh fruit on top but that took a long time to dice up, so now I don’t bother 😛
Let me know what your favorite smoothie bowl flavor/color is, and how yours turn out!!